Near: Knoxville, TN
Trails: Big Ridge’s trails consist of several loops. Trails I have hiked are:
- Lake Trail (1.5 miles) – Runs from the entrance to the campground to the West Dark Hollow Trail and/or Ghost House Trail. Branches off to Meditation Point and Loyston Overlook, and crosses Big Ridge Dam.
- West Dark Hollow Trail (1.7 miles) – Connects the Lake Trail with the intersection of Indian Rock Trail loop, Big Valley Trail, and East Dark Hollow Trail. Has a backcountry campsite. According to a sign, there were old homesites along the trail which are no longer visible, except for flat spots.
- Big Valley Trail (1.7 miles) – Connects the intersection of the Dark Hollow Trails and Indian Rock Trail with the Ghost House Trail and the group camp area. This trail includes a long ascent and descent.
Points of Interest:
- Big Ridge Dam, on the Lake Trail
- Norton Gristmill, near the group camp area and trailheads.
More information: http://tnstateparks.com/parks/activity-detail/big-ridge-hiking